The Secular Charter
We campaign for a secular state, a state in which:
- there is no established state religion;
- there is one law for all and its application is not hindered or replaced by religious codes or processes;
- there is no privileged position in society or advantage in law for any individual or group by virtue of their religion or belief, or
- lack of religion (whether the latter is atheism, agnosticism, non-theism, Humanism or the like);
- freedom of expression is not restricted by religious considerations;
- neither the state, nor any emanation of the state, expresses religious beliefs or preferences;
- religion plays no role in state-funded education, whether through religious affiliation, organised worship, religious instruction, pupil selection or employment discrimination;
- the state does not engage in, fund or promote religious activities or practices;
- public and publicly-funded service provision does not discriminate on grounds of religion or belief;
- the state does not intervene in the setting of religious doctrine or the running of religious organisations.
Get In Touch
Have a question or a suggestion for us? Just want to say hi?